Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Investigation Ends...

I had planned on taking December off from Cinema Styles and fully intended to keep those plans, until this happened...


Arbogast on Film, one of the finest written film blogs you will ever have the pleasure of casting your eyes upon, is "laying himself to rest."

Arbogast on Film was one of my first online blogging haunts and it wasn't long before a comment exchange with Arbo became one of the most entertaining breaks of the day.  Eventually (rather quickly, actually), I struck up a friendship with Arbo that extended into the real world.  Long before Facebook took over, we sent each other family pictures, texted random street scenes and talked about writing, blogging and the movies.

I'll miss Arbogast on Film, and even though I know I can still read all of his great writing elsewhere, and dig into the Arbogast archives when need be, it won't be the same knowing Arbogast is gone for good.   I love Arbo's writing and one of the things I love most about the man was his ability to say that which not only couldn't be said, but which most people would run from rather than utter.  A visit to Arbogast on Film, or a visit from Arbogast to your blog, often meant boundaries would be pushed and the plain truth would be spoken, polite company be damned.  Also, his wit, scathing and mocking and keenly honed, was, simply put, a lap ahead of the competition.  I enjoy good wit, cherish it, look for it in anyone of whom I intend to give my time.  Arbogast on Film had it, in gaudy supply, emanating from every word.

I designed that banner up above, as well as the banners for his superb annual October tradition, 31 Screams.  I was happy to do it.  Just to be associated with his blog in even such a small way felt good, like I was a part of something bigger.

I'll miss you, my friend.  The mystery of cinema will never be the same.