Friday, July 1, 2011

TCM, Morlocks and Me

Just a quick announcement about recent events in which I find myself inextricably linked with Kimberly Lindbergs once again. To rework the old political saying, as Kimberly goes, so goes Greg.

See, when I started writing online all those years ago back in 2007, Kimberly was the first person to introduce herself to me. I had gone on Dennis Cozzalio's matchless Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule blog a few times, and Dennis had commented on mine (the first official Cinema Styles commenter ever), and Kimberly popped over to Cinema Styles after finding me there and introduced herself in the comment pages (my second intro, by the way, was from Ken Lowery after we saw each other's comments on Jim Emerson's excellent Scanners blog).

Within about a year (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) Kimberly had posts up on Cinebeats about Cinema Retro and pieces she had done for them. "Cool," I thought. Not long after that, I was contacted by the editor of Cinema Retro about doing a piece for their website thanks to finding me from Cinebeats. "Even cooler," I thought.

After that, one of my favorite blog stops, If Charlie Parker was a Gunslinger There'd be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats, started by the incomparable and mysterious Tom Sutpen, asked Kimberly to join their ranks and start posting for the blog. About a year later, you guessed it, Tom asked me to join as well.

Then, just shortly after that, Turner Classic Movies asked Kimberly Lindbergs to become a Morlock, one of their official bloggers. At this point, I'm guessing that you can see where this is going. Two weeks ago, Jeff Stafford, online editor for Turner Classic Movies contacted me asking me to join the team. Of course, I said yes. Starting Wednesday, July 6th, I'll be an official blogger for TCM and hope to see you there. A special thanks to the strange and magical Richard Harland Smith for putting in a good word for me and to Jeff for reading Cinema Styles and having confidence I could write for TCM as well.

I look forward to posting for the Morlocks over at TCM and hope you'll join me there, often.

Now would someone PLEASE give Kimberly Lindbergs a million dollars! Please!

27 comments:

Ryan Kelly said...

Congratulations, Greg! That's pretty awesome. Will definitely be keeping up with your posts.

Erich Kuersten said...

way to go Gregg, as one of the eloi, let me say we're sorry to lose you. Look forward to your postage :)

Neil Sarver said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

I'll have to update my blogroll as soon as your feed is available. I look forward to more regular posting, which is exciting in itself.

Fred said...

Congratulations. And now that you've joined Kimberley and Richard @ Movie Morlocks, I'll have to spend even more time reading blogs. Well, I guess sleep is over-rated.

Greg said...

Thanks, everyone! I look forward to starting over there. I feel fortunate to have been given the opportunity.

Ed Howard said...

Awesome news, Greg, congratulations! You definitely deserve the new audience.

Greg said...

Thanks, Ed, very kind of you to say.

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

Very happy to have you on the Morlock team, Greg!

It does seem to indicate that our destiny's are somehow linked. I hadn't put all the connections together until now but after reading your post I'm sitting here and thinking, wow... we do kind of seem linked at the hip in the film blogosphere world.

Look forward to working with ya!

Greg said...

Thanks, Kimberly! I'm very excited to be working as a Morlock. And, seriously, I hope you become a millionaire really soon.

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

They're a nice group of people and I hope you have fun (exluding the stress of meeting deadline of course).

As for the million...you and me both, buddy!

But actually I'd just like to get my hands on about $20,000 right now so I could pay for all the medical bills I've got that starting to pile up and finally purchase a washer and dryer. I'm dreaming big!

Vanwall said...

Excellent! More fun!

Greg said...

Kimberly, I hope you get everything you need to pay off those expenses.

I'm going to start playing around with the formatting tomorrow and try to settle on a topic.

Greg said...

Vanwall, thanks, more fun for all, indeed!

Tom Sutpen said...

Congratulations, Greg. I wasn't aware that you'd only started writing in 2007 . . . though your ascent is of no surprise to me (perhaps that's what makes me so 'mysterious', huh). In fact, nobody's ascent at this point is a surprise.

I'm just glad to see that your association with 'Gunslinger' hasn't damaged your status any.

Greg said...

Thanks, Tom. The Gunslinger is a lifeline. Whenever things keep me from writing I always have my photo commentary on the Gunslinger.

Pierre Fournier said...

Holy cow! Congratulations, Greg!!!

Greg said...

Thanks, Pierre!

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Way to f-in' go, Gregg! I often read Movie Morlocks and think that it's the blog I wish mine was. They're now an even better blog for this addition. Again, aces!

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Oh, wait, you're Greg Ferrara, not Gregg Henry. Sorry about that extra "G"! But enjoy that extra "G" anyway. You deserve it!

Greg said...

Thank you, Dennis, first Cinema Styles commenter ever! And thanks so much for the extra "g". I mean, it's that kind of generosity that has made your reputation what it is today. You're the tops!

p.s. I will use the extra "g" sparingly and responsibly, don't worry.

bill r. said...

Holy shit, you're not Gregg Henry? Well who the fuck have I been talking to for the past three years!?

Okay, well, whoever you are, this is frickin' awesome news! Can't wait to read your new blog!

Which makes me wonder what'll happen to this here one...

Greg said...

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate it!

And nothing will happen to this one. My posting slows down according to work cycles. At the Archives, spring and summer (and ESPECIALLY the upcoming 4th of July) are way busy and I'm swamped with account reconciliations and finance charges and trying to avoid late payments to vendors. So, my focus goes on work and off the blog. Too bad too because it's the time of the year when I'm not depressed by weather.

But my blogging here will continue unabated. It's just that most of my classic stuff will probably go over there. Frankly, I've been writing up movies from the eighties on up here recently anyway.

kassy said...

That's awesome Greg!!! Oh and Kimberly's blog is how I found your blog, there's some kind of clever comment in there about being linked but I can't think of it. Congrats again.

Anonymous said...

tdraicer:

Congratulations! Have you seen the lines at the blog office? It's a torrent, it's an avalanche, it's the biggest hit on TCM!

Greg said...

Thanks, Kassy! So you found me through Cinebeats, huh? Just another thing to be grateful to Kimberly for.

Greg said...

tdraicer, thanks and I hope to see you there!

VP81955 said...

Congrats on joining the Morlocks, from someone who responds to their entries occasionally. Continued success.

As you may know, I run a blog focusing on classic Hollywood in general and Carole Lombard in particular, "Carole & Co." From Oct. 6 to 9, we are holding our first blogathon, "Carole-tennial(+3)!" in honor of the 103rd anniversary of Lombard's birth on Oct. 6. If you'd like to participate, visit http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/427564.html.