Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Unexplained Cinema Logo



This is the logo that will appear before my short films in the future, whenever they get finished that is. Unexplained Cinema, the title, doubles for both my production company, such as it is, and my alternate cinema blog. As for the logo film, I animated it from several old public domain photos that I stitched together (for instance, the seated man and the abandoned building interior are two separate photos put together). The idea is that we see the outside of the abandoned building first, as we hear the click of the projector turn on and rev up, lighting up its surroundings, and then go inside to see the man seated on a makeshift bench, waiting for the film to start. Then, of course, it dissolves to the logo.

As for Unexplained Cinema, the blog, I think it's time for another sea change. What that change will be I don't know for sure just yet, but hopefully, it's coming soon.

*****************

This blog is cross-posted at Unexplained Cinema

20 comments:

Neil Sarver said...

Very cool. I dig it.

Peter Nellhaus said...

Time to go back to the land before special effects done with lots o' people with lots o' computers and such.

How about a big hunk of Danish cheese?

Pax Romano said...

Greg, excellent! Can't wait to see it up on the big screen (followed by your Academy Award winning block-buster).

Greg said...

Thanks, Neil.

Greg said...

Peter - Reptilicus is merely misunderstood. He just wants love, as do I. But yes, I do tire of the production company logos that try to outdo the movie that they're producing with ever increasing length and overbaked CGI.

Greg said...

Pax, thanks a million! I dream of such an Academy Award winning blockbuster that may one day grace the screen after my logo but can't seem to even piece together a short film I'm satisfied with in the meantime.

larry aydlette said...

I don't understand all these changes you make. You must explain it to me sometime.

Greg said...

I'm crazy that way.

You need to get back on Facebook! It's about as low-maintenance as one can get: Comment, post a status update, like something, whatever. Come on, get back on, then at least we can keep track of you.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

First-rate logo, Greg. I look forward to seeing it on many future projects.

Greg said...

Thank you very much, Ivan. Hopefully the future projects will be as good as the logo.

Tony Dayoub said...

Hey Larry, are you posting anywhere right now that I've overlooked? Or is searching for your work meant to be part of the fun?

Marillyn said...

I don't get it. Explain it to me.

Greg said...

Tony - Larry is mercurial, like a mischievous sprite. Who knows if he was ever even here.

Greg said...

Marilyn, I'm working on a Fully Explained Cinema Logo as we speak.

Marilyn said...

That's more like it!

larry aydlette said...

By the way, the logo music is familiar. But I can't place it.

Tony Dayoub said...

Debussy's CLAIRE DE LUNE?

bill r. said...

Why was the guy in the theater? What movie was he watching? Was I supposed to think he died at the end? It was a great logo, but I don't understand the story. Tighten it up.

Greg said...

Larry and Tony, yes, it's Claire de Lune. I wanted to use a familiar piece that was copyright free but I wanted to make it unique to the logo so I took DeBussy's piece, just recorded the first few notes, slowed down the tempo for the last two, purposely not ending on the tonic and then, finally, adjusting the pitch so it sounded a bit more like an old out of tune piano.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these things.

Greg said...

Bill, yes, he died. During the feature, The Karate Kid remake, he was impaled by a falling girder from the roof of the abandoned building. I'm working on a second logo where we view his rotting corpse in front of a blank flickering screen, still undiscovered weeks later.