Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Zoot Suit Turns 30

From Greg's awesome Facebook page:

"ZOOT SUIT in rehearsal, August 14th, 1978. Playwright Luis Valdez on the far left of the photo with Gordon Davidson, artistic director of the Taper Theatre in Los Angeles. In 1979 it became the first play written by and about Hispanics to play Broadway. This year marks its 30th anniversary. And of course we all know who got his start with this right (standing center)?"

The film was released in 1981 and generally received good notices. I liked it when I saw it but that's the one and only time I ever did see it so another viewing is definitely in order. It's available on DVD and Video on Demand so there's no excuse not to.

For a little background on the historical events on which the play and film are based go here and here.

9 comments:

Fox said...

Awww... dangit! I thought this was one of those photos where you sneakily post a picture of yourself.

bill r. said...

Fox, if you were on Facebook, you'd know what Greg looks like. You'd know what I look like, too.

I've never heard of Zoot Suit.

Greg said...

Fox, what Bill said. Actually just look at my Facebook badge on the sidebar and you can at least see my nose and eyes. And since everyone now knows what I look like, here's the banner I put myself in last year. I'm in the back in the grey suit behind the old lady with the red hat. But better pictures are available on Facebook - so join!

Greg said...

Bill, it was pretty big when it came out but never became a staple on cable so after its initial theatrical and cable run it kind of went away. The movie is very play-like so I wonder if when I watch it again I won't find that very distracting.

Mainly, what I remember was thinking the guy playing the narrator and conscience of the play, who I now know to be Edward James Olmos, was so damn cool. Then he was in Blade Runner and when he turned up on Miami Vice I thought, "Perfect guy for the part."

Fox said...

Luckily (or not), Facebook is blocked at my work. I wonder if Bill is really as handsome as I imagine him to be??

Greg said...

Fox, you can go on Facebook at night. A lot of people share comments, links and such at night. Really, I mocked FB like hell but now that I'm on it I find it really is a good way to keep up to date with fellow film bloggers.

Marilyn said...

Well, I've heard of Zoot Suit, which is not the same as The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, which I saw. That guy in the foreground looks like Avery Shreiber.

Greg said...

He does, but he needs a lot more hair.

And I've not seen The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. I'm assuming that's also about murder and rioting.

Marilyn said...

Um, not exactly.