Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thank You Mr Wood


... and so He did. If you're an Ed Wood fan the above photo and caption not only make sense to you but you probably used that whiny female voice from the movie when you read it in your head. And of course, I don't have to tell you which movie. If you're not an Ed Wood fan, well, I hope after this blogathon you've been persuaded to at least give a couple of his films a look.

I've been blogging for a while and never held a blogathon until now for a couple of reasons. One, I could never think of a topic, and two, I feared no one would show up. The 50th anniversary of the release of Plan 9 from Outer Space (released in July of 1959) gave me the topic that had so long eluded me and my friends and fellow bloggers proved to me I had nothing to fear. With over 50 submissions (fitting given the anniversary) I think I can declare this blogathon a screaming success and I owe it all to Ed Wood. He's the one that actually brought everyone together and did so for a reason that makes me proud. I've heard time and again how we bloggers employ scorched Earth policies on a regular basis and don't enjoy writing about film so much as tearing it down. Of course, I know and you know and any sensible person knows that's not the case. Just look at the outpouring of love whenever a member of the film community falls ill or passes away. And 99 percent of blog content is about movies the blogger loves, not hates. And so it is with Wood.

Ed Wood has been called the worst director of all time but you wouldn't know it from this blogathon. I don't think one of the 50 plus submissions bought into that notion. Most of us are in agreement that Ed was not a very good writer and was certainly sloppy and rushed as a director but he was inspired and sincere and to a lot of people that counts for something. I know it does to me.

From the personal stories and remembrances to reviews of almost all of Wood's movies as well as movies by filmmakers other than Wood, I want to thank everyone who participated from the bottom of my heart. I have had a busy weekend and it continues with a birthday for the youngest son today and the return of the oldest daughter from work on a water filtration project in El Salvador tonight. I may not have time to read and comment on every entry today (although I will certainly try) but know that I appreciate it sincerely.

And now I'd like to take a break for a day or two, well until Tuesday morning at least, and relax. Running a blogathon was quite frankly more work than I thought it would be but I enjoyed every second of it. Monday I think I'll finally set up a Facebook account so prepare to be hit with friend requests from me (and behold my handsome visage). Until yesterday, as I told Bill in an e-mail, he and I were the only two bloggers left on Earth who weren't on Facebook, then the bastard e-mailed me that he had just joined. Son of a bitch beat me to it. Oh well, I'll see Bill and all of you there on Monday.

In the meantime, please - PLEASE - read each and every post in the blogathon if you haven't already. It's one hell of a list of entries and I plan on keeping a permanent link to it in the sidebar, as a sort of repository of all things Wood so that future generations may come here to study the legacy of Edward D Wood, Jr. and stare in gaping awe.

And once more, THANK YOU, each and every one of you who participated either with a post, a suggestion or engagement in the comment section. Thanks to all of you for making it all worthwhile. And thanks in advance to anyone posting today as well.

And now I'm off, like Eros and Tanna surfing the skies in a blazing saucer headed into the unknown of the future, where each of us will spend the rest of our lives. Thanks again everyone!

25 comments:

bill r. said...

I don't think I'm prepared to see what you look like. I don't have a picture of myself on Facebook, by the way, so I sort of cheated, but I'll try and, for once in my life, get a good picture of my giant head taken and put it up.

Although Ed also cheated, I'd like to point out.

I'm glad your first blogathon worked out so well, Greg. It really was an unqualified success.

Greg said...

Yes, I saw your Jarvis style picture. What's the point of Facebook, connecting with friends online, if you don't show your face? I mean, I was into anonymity big time, pseudonym and all but now, screw it, I say let's all be done with all that. We are who we are. Anyway, I have so few good pictures of myself anyway, trust me, it will be nothing impressive. My profile pic won't be a "normal" photo but I'll have other photos of myself there. I just don't have time today or I'd do it now but I just popped in to quickly comment. I'm off to run birthday errands.

Thanks Bill, for your support and posting during the blogathon. I really appreciated it.

Ryan Kelly said...

Yeah, my profile pic is never of me, but I have pictures up for my friends to see.

How did Ed cheat? There are pictures of himself on his facebook.

Ryan Kelly said...

Oh, forgot the reason I was posting here in the first place: great job on the blogathon, Greg. If you get the inspiration for another don't hesitate, as it was fun!

Ed Howard said...

Nice job on this blogathon, Greg, I've really enjoyed reading everything and contributing -- it was a great topic and a lot of fun, and you yielded all sorts of great posts. It's definitely a lot of work hosting a blogathon, and this one was a big success.

And yeah, how did I cheat? There are pictures of me on Facebook. My profile picture doesn't show my face, but it is of me... I can't believe you two are finally giving in, though. Heh.

Greg said...

I'm back again briefly. Ryan and Ed, thanks so much for participating. I'm so glad all my friends took part.

As for Facebook, how can I not join? Sometimes I kick and scream more than I should but in the end, I love to participate and socialize and not being a member of Facebook makes me feel like I'm missing out on the action. So once the craziness of today is over I'll sign up and start carpet-bombing the friend requests.

Marilyn said...

Greg - I know you weren't including me in the photo conversation, but I probably will put mine up soon. I actually have a photo that I think looks like me and isn't too unflattering.

I enjoyed this blogathon, though I haven't gotten around to reading everything. This is definitely the most successful blogathon I've ever seen. Pick a topic about which people are passionate (and possibly clandestinely so in the cinephile world), and you'll see the love come through.

Though I think I am the only female who participate, and not with an Ed Wood film. Oh you boys.

And I didn't know you were about to be a grandpapa. Congratulations! You are expected to post photos of new arrivals on Facebook or they will revoke your privileges. I will be posting photos of my brand-new kitchen knife set in compliance with regulations.

Greg said...

And I didn't know you were about to be a grandpapa. Congratulations!

What?! Who?! Not me! The youngest son has a birthday today, that's all. He turns 15. And then tonight our oldest daughter gets back from a work project in El Salvador. No grandkids for me, although, the oldest son lives with a woman who has a son so I guess in a roundabout way I kind of am. But I'm in my forties so I don't consider myself the proper grandpa age yet. Yet.

And no, I wasn't referring to anyone outside of Bill with the photos because until I have time to join tomorrow I can't see anyone's homepage anyway to know who or who doesn't have a pic up. I understand it can be hard to find good pics of anyone. My pics are from a trip last year and another pic from about six months ago and then a final pic from about two months ago of my eyes only. I'm finally starting to take off the weight I put on from quitting smoking so it'll still be a while before I post photos of the moment and even then I'm almost NEVER satisfied with the way pictures of me turn out. I've chosen pics with semi-smiles because I've been told I often look angry in photographs, which maybe I do. More often than not I have a kind of sullen "why in the hell are you taking my picture" look on my face so it's hard to find a good picture.

Greg said...

Oh and you're right, I think you were the only female to participate which does kind of make me feel like I failed to an extent. If I do another blogathon I hope to get equal representation in the posting department.

Krauthammer said...

When I first joined facebook my profile picture was consistently photos of my favorite directors but I soon learned that that was unbearably nerdy so I knocked it off.

Pat said...

Greg -

Congratulations on a very successful blogathon. Obviously an inspired choice for a topic.

I'm only catching up with everyone's posts now, and I'm SO sorry I didn't get a post up this week. I got hit with a tremendous amount of work and overtime this week, and just couldn't keep up. But as I noted over at my blog today, I still intend to put up my planned post in the near future. So the Spirit of Ed Wood will live on! I'll be looking for you on Facebook, too.

Marilyn said...

Oops, I misread that thing about a birthday. Although, the 40s is not too young to be a granddad. The hubby had his first grandchild when he was 44.

Greg said...

Krauthammer - Yeah, as far as I can tell, since the name Facebook comes from the college books handed out to freshman with everyone's name and face, the point is too identify yourself right? Not that I'm one to talk because hoo boy did I NOT identify myself for a couple of years on this blog so I'm just saying I thought that's what Facebook was about but I don't care if someone wants post pics or not. Just saying I will.

Greg said...

Pat, thanks so much but please don't post anything unless you actually want to. I don't want you to feel any obligation at all to post because of me because I'm completely okay if you don't. I didn't even send out e-mails or reminders for this blogathon because I didn't want people to feel pressured. So really, don't worry about it, unless you actually want to.

And I wish I could sign up for Facebook right now but my time today is divided up into free minutes at most. I'll definitely look for you tomorrow.

Greg said...

Marilyn, I worked with a woman who was a grandmother at 37. Her daughter was 19 when she had her first and my co-worker was 18 when she had her. A lot of people become grandparents in their forties (and like I said, technically, I'm a surrogate grandfather now as we do actually watch the little tyke from time to time) but I'm still stuck in a cultural vacuum thinking of grandparents looking like Whistler's Mother, only a little older. I think the movies did that to me.

Erich Kuersten said...

THank YOU, Greg, for a great idea and perfect execution. Now we know the horrible truth about ourselves. Monsters to be pitied, monsters to be despised, except by us.

And bevare take care on FB, I just found a very old ex-girlfriend, looking all healthy and happy without me, and now I'm super melancholy.

On the other hand, a lot of old girlfriends have shown up on FB looking busted and old and flea-bit, so there's a good side, if you dig schadenfreude!

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

It's only 4:30 on the west coast so I figured there was still time to contribute:

http://cinebeats.blogsome.com/2009/07/12/i-love-you-ted-v-mikels/

Greg said...

Kimberly, thanks! I'll go ahead and add the link.

Greg said...

I couldn't get the comments there to work Kimberly but thanks for the post.

And Erich, thanks so much for all your contributions. It was above and beyond.

Rick Olson said...

Fabulous blogathon, Greg.

Where's my facebook friend invite?

Ryan Kelly said...

Gramps here probably couldn't figure it out.

Darrell Bratz said...

Still catching up to a few of these but it's clearly a big success. I'm a little startled by how much thoughtfulness and creativity this inspired across the board. Not so startled by the enthusiasm though, it was a great subject. Congratulations, Greg thanks for hosting and letting us play along!

Greg said...

Where's my facebook friend invite?

I sent it snailmail. Should get it in a couple of days.

Greg said...

Darrell, thanks so much! I appreciate everyone's great efforts for this blogathon. I couldn't have done without everyone's enthusiasm for the topic at hand.

Arbogast said...

How about that Albuquerque ball?