Saturday, January 24, 2009

Relive the Glory Days


Remember that time Pierre got Strike? Or how about when Krauthammer guessed Bulldog Drummond Escapes? Remember when Marilyn struck twice in a row with Passport to Pimlico and then Three Days of the Condor? Or how about when Arbo won again. And again. And again.

Friends, you don't have to rely on shaky memory accounts anymore! Announcing the new running tally of all the clips used for Name That Movie so that we may all relive the stupendous, fabulous and yes, magnificent glory days of the prize-winning guessing game that's sweeping the nation. Did you know that for the first game the decade represented the most was the thirties? Here's how it rolled:


1920's - 1

1930's - 5

1940's - 3

1950's - 1

1960's - 3

1970's - 3

1980's - 2

1990's - 1


So if you want to see who guessed what and which movies were chosen head on over to the home of the clips here. Or if you just want to see Arbogast's name typed in repeatedly, it's good for that too. In fact, it only took nineteen clips to get through the entire first round. I'm looking for the second round to last a bit longer which means I need to mix it up a bit more but still keep it reasonable.

6 comments:

Peter Nellhaus said...

Jonathan: I'd play more but I work on Saturdays, and the rules about use of computers is starting to get enforced more strictly.

If you haven't seen it, Border Incident is a fun film with a couple of banner ready shots. Best of all is the scene with George Murphy being run over by a tractor.

DVD alert: Gumshoe with Albert Finney.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Border Incident is a fun film with a couple of banner ready shots. Best of all is the scene with George Murphy being run over by a tractor.

That sounds like quite a Tractor Fact. I haven't seen nearly as much Anthony Mann as I should have (or Ricardo Montalban for that matter) so I'll definitely give it a look.

And I'm sure Arbo's glad to hear you can't play on Saturdays.

Peter Nellhaus said...

I think Arbogast would have won anyways.

However, to make things challenging, maybe you could use a clip with a recognizable actor like Setsuko Hara and have people figure out which Ozu film she's in, or a glimpse of Toshiro Mifune in samurai costume.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Kind of like playing the opening riff of any Chuck Berry song and then having someone guess which one it is.

Arboghost! said...

Weekends are bad for me, too, and the wife is getting more strict about keeping me off the computer. That hag eye of her really burns the back of my head.

That scene in Border Incident is pretty grueling - because you really don't think they're going there and then they do. And it's not a tractor so much as a harrower, I think.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Maybe I'll switch it to Fridays or Mondays then. I'd probably get more people participating that way anyway. The reason I set it up for Saturday is because I hate going the whole weekend without a post and at the same time I hate writing a post for the weekend since the traffic is so much lower. So I think I'll switch this to Mondays and go back to Favorite Moments for my lazy post Saturday.