Friday, January 16, 2009

Mystery Couple


It's a mystery movie they're playing in and their identity is a mystery too. To you that is, not to me. I'm the one that scanned it so I ought to know. But I'll be honest with you, I didn't know who they were before I scanned the photo. Or maybe I did. What do I mean by that? Well...

She's a mystery regardless. With bit parts and only a handful of leads in B-Pictures, she retired from film in 1942. But the male lead, that's a different story. Turns out I've heard his voice a thousand times, and if you're over thirty, you probably have too. And the director? One of the big ones, to cinephiles at least. The average moviegoer probably isn't as familiar with him.

Too much more and I'll give the game away, which as always, I plan on doing anyway with a series of increasingly telling clues (by the way, the actor's name still may not be familiar to you but the clues will lead you to him nonetheless).

But for now - Does anyone have any idea what this movie is and who these two actors are?

18 comments:

Marilyn said...

He kind of looks like Don DeFore.

Jonathan Lapper said...

It's not Don DeFore.

The actor in the pic later provided a very famous narration that is still used today.

Marilyn said...

Peter Ustinov, Peter and the Wolf?

Marilyn said...

Don't answer that. It's wrong.

Peter Nellhaus said...

"But the male lead, that's a different story. Turns out I've heard his voice a thousand times, and if you're over thirty, you probably have too."

So far I've ruled out William Conrad, Paul Frees, and Mel Blanc.

Jonathan Lapper said...

It's a very famous use of simile. Very famous. You've probably heard it parodied a thousand times.

And it's used, and this is very important, daily. As in, during the daytime.

Marilyn said...

Got it! MacDonald Carey in Dr. Broadway. Anthony Mann is the director. I had to look up the actress. Jean Phillips.

Arboghost! said...

Makes sense to me.

Black leather, black leather...

Flickhead said...

Did you get permission to use that photo?

Jonathan Lapper said...

Marilyn YOU GOT IT!

The famous simile phrase spoken by MacDonal Carey being:

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our live."

In your face Arbo! (sorry, but he always gets these things).

Jonathan Lapper said...

Arbo, better luck next time.

And sorry to everyone. I was in one of those stupid meetings. My current stress level is through the roof. I need to start bringing my Buffalo Trace to work with me.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Flickhead, I asked Kevin Lee. I assume he owns the rights to it. He said it was cool.

Marilyn said...

I used to watch Days of Our Lives. I also like the tick-tock music that runs under the Carey's voiceover and then that crescendo of violins into the theme song. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Jonathan Lapper said...

I've been humming it to myself all morning.

Arboghost! said...

In your face Arbo! (sorry, but he always gets these things).

I was bringing my children to daycare and buying medicine for my sick wife.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Cry me a river.

Arboghost! said...

No brag, just fact.

Jonathan Lapper said...

I sit corrected.