Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Busy Day


Another busy day at work precludes me from much internet activity today but I didn't want to leave you empty-handed so here are two more pics from the dreamlike Movieland Wax Museum. The first is for Marilyn. Look Marilyn, it's Nancy Kwan as Suzie Wong! The second is for all us Myrna Loy fans. I leave you with a question: Is it possible, even using someone with no knowledge of waxwork, to produce a poorer wax reproduction of Loy than the one on display here. God, I wish I could have seen this place. I get the feeling they just bought mannequins and dipped them in wax.


8 comments:

Peter Nellhaus said...

Had the place still been open, it could have been called "The House of Wacks".

Jonathan Lapper said...

I wonder if Asta is wax or something they just picked up at F.A.O. Schwartz.

Marilyn said...

I don't remember Nancy Kwan wearing a coat over her head, but it was raining in that scene, so perhaps I'm wrong...

Rick Olson said...

I don't remember the slasher film the Loy scene is from, but it must have been ahead of its time ...

Jonathan Lapper said...

Marilyn, I don't think the "wax-masters" ever actually saw any of the films. And I think when they made the displays they had coats over their heads - and eyes.

Jonathan Lapper said...

Rick - Check out Myrna's hands. She's like a robot from Buck Rogers.

(in classic robot voice) - "I am Myrna Loy. I will solve crime. Body not real. Does not compute. Does not compute."

Larry Aydlette said...

Funny you should mention hands. Wax hands always give it away. Even if they do the rest of the body and face extremely detailed and life-like, the hands are always bad. Just something I've picked up among my vast storehouse of wax-figure trivia...

Jonathan Lapper said...

Just the other day I said to my friend, "If there's one person in this whole wide world who knows his wax-working, it's Larry Aydlette. Why anything you want to know you just ask Larry."

Anyway, then my friend was all like, "Who the hell is Larry and when were we ever talking about wax?"

And then I was like, "Uh... yeah, so... you gonna eat that?"